Fluffy Rice and Peas with Jerk Chicken
An iconic Caribbean favourite which is easy to prepare. It’s deliciously spiced with fluffy rice which is easy to cook and perfect every time.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Wash your chicken and drain. Pat the chicken dry and make 3-4 slashes across the skin-side of the chicken about 1cm deep. In a dish add the jerk seasoning and chopped parsley and mix well. Pat the seasoning in the chicken well making sure you get the flavor into the slashes. Cover and leave to marinate overnight in the fridge or for a minimum of 2 hours.
- In a medium pan add the oil and once hot add the bay leaf and the onion. Once the onion is translucent add the drained Tilda easy cook long grain rice with the coconut milk, chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the rice and simmer for 10 minutes. Then stir in the red kidney beans, parsley and season with salt and pepper and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking place the chicken over a medium heated barbecue or in a pan for 25-30 minutes, turning occasionally and brushing with any leftover marinade.
- Serve the delicious jerk chicken with the fluffy rice and enjoy.
- 4 chicken thighs and 4 chicken drumsticks
- 125g of Jerk Seasoning
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 200g of Tilda Easy Cook Long Grain rice rinse and drained
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 400ml coconut milk
- 300ml chicken stock
- 1 tin of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 table spoon of vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste