Chunky Lamb Chilli with Pure Basmati Rice
Difficulty (1-5): 4
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40-45 minutes
For the chilli
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 10 minutes until softened, then add the red chilli, red pepper, ground cumin and chilli powder and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Turn up the heat to high, add the lamb and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes, or until the lamb is browned.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and Tabasco sauce and bring to the boil. Cover tightly, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally,
- until the lamb is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the kidney beans and mix well. Cook gently, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Season to taste and stir in the coriander.
For the rice
- Add the rice and chilli flakes to a large pan of boiling water and cook following pack instructions.
To serve, spoon the rice and chunky chilli on to warmed serving plates. Top with a spoonful of soured cream, if desired, and serve immediately.
For the lamb chilli:
- 2 tbsp vegetable or light olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp medium-hot chilli powder
- 400g lean diced lamb
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1.2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 400g can red kidney beans,
- drained and rinsed
- salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
For the rice:
- 250g Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- soured cream to serve (optional)